Developing on Happy Meeple
Developing on Happy Meeple can have several purposes:
- Help us develop new games faster. We have a range of games waiting for a developer
- Develop your own prototype
- Or maybe develop some Artificial Intelligence
Happy Meeple architecture
We have a range of classes that can be reused to make games faster:
- cards, decks, piles, hands
- dice and dice box
- customizable animations (zoom in and out, card move, card flip, dice roll, etc.)
- drag and drop
- sound FX/music
- Negamax (=Alpha-Beta) algorithm for AI
Where do I start?
If you are interested in developing on Happy Meeple, please follow the following procedure:
- Create an account on our test website (mindbelts.com). Note that the database of the test website is an old copy of the Happy Meeple database (from a few years ago). It is therefore possible that you already have an account on the test website.
- Once logged to Mindbelts, please refresh this page to see your Mindbelts player ID: You are not logged to Mindbelts.
- Contact us via the contact form to ask us to activate developer rights on your Mindbelts account.
- Please provide your Mindbelts player ID. See above.
- Please describe briefly the reason of your interest and your level of expertise.
- While your account is approved, set up a local HTTPS server on your dev machine. mindbelts.com will fetch the files specific to the game you are working on from this local server.
You can follow this link to set up a https server within minutes. All you need to do is run a python3 script. Obviously there are other ways to do the same thing (with Apache, Nginx, etc.). If you are under Windows, you may look at a combination of git-bash and NodeJS (for Windows).
(Alternatively, you can also probably serve the files from your HD directly, but then you will need to change your browser safety settings to allow mindbelts.com to fetch files from there - this will make your browser unsafe and is not recommended)
The local server will host files from the following folders which you can already create:
- Once your account is approved, please follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.mindbelts.com/en/developer/index.php and follow the instructions (which will include downloading a reference document and template files to start with)
- Login to mindbelts.com and click on the icon to go to the settings sub-page. At the bottom, please fill the "Local files path" setting. It will need to start with "https://" and finish with a "/".
Alternatively, if you use your HD, the path will start with "file:///".